Wow! (well I'm not really surprised) our individual work is a 40% more important than the group presentation (that's 70%) for the final submission. We have been told to keep a reflective journal and the best definition I found is this one: A reflective journal is a way of thinking in a critical and analytical way about your work in progress. It shows how different aspects of your work interconnect. (from here) I decided to make a group of posts about the group project in order to keep it separated from the rest of my research which is gonna be mainly about my final project.

A reflective journal records where your inspiration comes from and how you make use of the ideas generated in order to develop your work, including also, some evidence of the understanding of the cultural context in which the project is gonna take place. It is made of your own research notes, images, visits extracts, lectures, tutorials , books, journals, photos, sketches... Basically it is made of everything that you looked at or used while doing your project.

It is important to be critic with what you are doing and to keep analysing it every time you make a change on any aspect that your project includes. In order to explain or justify what you are doing you should compare different points of view and identify conclusions made by other persons and how they arrive at them. Decide what you think based on the evidence available. It is like recording all the steps taken during the execution of your work but reflecting on it, creating this way a circular way of study. This is more or less what Andy Warhol did during the last days of his life when he started recording all the process involved in his work in order to leave the legacy of his process.

Having read what a reflective journal is makes feel more secure about the execution of my project as now I know that I am going to have a reason for doing what I am doing and that it will develop my writing and communication skills, this can be really helpful for presentations and for the time of writing my thesis. It seems to be a powerful tool to make my ideas deeper and more precise too but it will slow down the evolution of this blog though.

more links:
Multimedia reflective journals examples
More facts & More
For Students
technorati


[Ovo]: Scsi-9 - The line of nine

0 comments: